The Big Google Mobile First Update is almost here, and to be clear, it’s something to fear
How much time do I have?
Google has given businesses until April 1, 2021 (no fooling) to have a mobile friendly website, or else.
Or else what?
Or else if the pages of your website are not mobile friendly, your website will no longer show up in Google. The pages of your website will be removed from Google’s index and if your pages aren’t in Google’s index, you will not have the opportunity to rank in Google’s search engine. This could mean a big drop in your business if you currently get customers from Google.
Whoa. Should I be concerned?
If you don’t have a responsive website, yes. If your website is responsive, congratulations, there’s nothing you need to do.
How do I know if I have a responsive website?
Fortunately, it’s easy to check. Here’s some quick, easy ways you can make sure you’re ready:
- Contact HLM. Hey, we’re here to help and we can give you a full analysis of where you stand.
- Use Google’s tool.
- Check it yourself. Go on your phone and go to your website. If the text is tiny, and it looks like your full site, just shrunk down, you’ve got a problem. We can help.
Wait a minute. How does HLM know this is an actual issue?
Don’t take our word for it, take Google’s. Google has made several announcements regarding the mobile first indexing update.
- Google announcement on Oct 14, 2020
- Google announcement on July 21, 2020
- Google announcement on March 5, 2020
Google has even updated their developer documentation to confirm the update.
The good news and what you should you do next
The good news is that you have time to get ready if you act now and get your project started by the end of the year. To best position your company for this critical Google update, contact HLM today and let’s get you taken care of.